For my witchy cocktail apron, I scored supplies on discount at my local Hobby Lobby. They even had the perfect mini witch hat headband to pair with my ensemble. I was going to try to make one of these, too, but at 40% off and the fact that I was quickly running out of time, I just snatched that baby right up!
3 bandannas - I lucked out to find ones that were black with spiderwebs (solid black on reverse), discounted to $1.27
1 glittery fairy dress-up skirt from The Dollar Tree (child size), for (you guessed it) $1!
1 spool of Halloween ribbon, discounted to 99 cents
First, I cut one of the bandannas in half and sewed one half to each side of a full bandanna, right sides together. I did this so that I wouldn't have a seam running right down the middle of my apron. Those are just creases from it being folded.
Next, I trimmed maybe one-third off the top of the last bandanna and sewed the rest of the piece centered along the middle section, black side up. I moved it down about two inches from the top so that I would have a strip of coordinating fabric along the waist.
Then I took the fairy dress-up skirt and opened the seam so that it could lay flat.
I pinned and sewed this along the top edge of the black bandanna piece I had just attached.
Since there was a skinny elastic waistband to the fairy skirt, I stretched it as I sewed so that it would reach all the way across the black section. It resulted in this part being slightly ruffled when finished.
Then I put a length of the Halloween ribbon near the bottom edge of the black piece of bandanna.
And also a length of the same ribbon along the top edge of the fairy skirt. I put it just low enough to cover the white elastic, but still have a teeny ruffle of tulle poking above. Again, because this was along an elasticized cloth, I had to stretch and pin it in sections. When it was held taut as I sewed, the ribbon covered the length of tulle and had a slight gathering when finished.
I used black thread and sewed right along the black stripe in the middle of the ribbon.
This picture shows the ribbon after I had it pinned and before it was sewn. When I let go of the elastic, it would bubble up.
This is what it looked like at that point, a large rectangle, with a center portion gathered by elastic.
Next I folded the rectangle of apron in half down the center, put it flat, and trimmed a curved edge along the side.
I did a simple zig-zag stitch on this raw edge so that it wouldn't fray. The beauty of using bandannas for this is that most of the edges were already finished and I didn't need to hem anything!
I trimmed just enough off these scraps to make two long, thin rectangles to use as part of the ties. I trimmed the extra third that I had cut off of the center black portion to make two additional long, thin rectangles, four total. Remember, these were black on one side and spiderweb on the other.
Sew two of these together at the short end, right sides matching. And then again, so that you have two long strips when finished.
Next you fold these right sides together and pin. You'll have one long skinny strip.
When you begin sewing the length of these strips, start at the corner by the fold. Sew a diagonal line over close to the edge. Stop the machine, pick up the presser foot while the needle is still in the fabric, and pivot so that the whole piece is straight. Then continue sewing the seam along the edge, down to the end. This gives the end of your tie an angled edge.
Turn right side out.
Now press the strips nice and flat with an iron.
After you sew this, you flip the strip back so that it's along the top edge of your apron, with the flap of curved fabric underneath.
Top-stitch both top and bottom edges from where the tie is attached, out to the edge of the apron.
That's it! The ties are long enough to wrap around and make a bow in front. Here is the finished project.
Linking up at :