I browsed images on Google, and made sketches of some of my faves. Then I dug out scraps from a pack of quilting quarters that had been in the closet for a year, and also some white flannel, brown felt, and ric rac.
Then I got the idea to make my softie doll with jingle bells and crinkles (plastic from a pack of baby wipes!)
- Fabric #1 - two pieces for front/back of head
- Fabric #2 - two pieces for front/back of the body and one piece for the bottom
- Fabric #3 - two pieces for fronts of wings
- Fabric #4 - two pieces for backs of wings
- Fabric #5 - four pieces for fronts/backs of legs
- Flannel - lining for wings and shapes for face and tummy applique
- Felt - four shapes for fronts/backs of feet, two eyes and one beak
- Crinkle - two more of the wing pattern to insert in the wings for crinkle noise.
I took two of my felt foot shapes, put them together, and started zig-zagging the edges with a tight stitch. Once I got about halfway around, I slipped one little jingle bell inside, and then continued zig-zagging the rest of the way around. I went around the edges a few times and then switched to straight stitch and went around once more. I wanted to make sure that bell was really secured in there!
(There are four in the pic, because I was making two dolls).
Once the eyes were on, I appliqued the flannel face piece onto the head piece.
Then added the beak.
I stitched a few rows of ric rac onto the white flannel tummy piece (which, again, had interfacing on the back).Then I appliqued the tummy onto the body front.
I sewed the backs and fronts of the body by placing right sides together (head and body pieces) and sewing along the chin line.
I had topstitched the felt feet onto the ends of the legs, going back and forth multiple times. In hindsight, I probably should have sewn the foot pieces to the ankle of the leg before I put the legs together, but it worked out alright.
I pinned and stitched these onto the bottom of the front body piece, just to hold them in place till the whole thing was pieced together.
The wings were the most time-consuming, because it took me forever to figure out how to put all the layers together so that nothing was backwards when I turned them right-side out again!
Thankfully I had enough fabric to remake the ones that came out wrong ; )
First - put right sides together of your front and back wing pieces.
Then I pinned and stitched them in place on the body front.
Linking up with