We are going back to Halloween Classics for costumes this year. My boys wanted to be a Vampire, a Mummy, and a Ghost. How fun! And shockingly, I realized in the seven years that I've been a mom I have not once actually made my boys' costumes myself. How did that happen?? Well, this year I decided to do it!
My oldest is the Vampire. I made his costume out of a pair of old pj pants from Hubby's giveaway pile (free), a plain white, long-sleeved shirt ($6 from fruit of the loom), a fat quarter of red cotton fabric ($1.50?) and an adult size reversible vampire cape ($9). I'll say that I had planned to make the cape out of round tablecloths, but it was cheaper to just buy the one from the costume section than it was to buy materials to make it myself.
First, I took a pair of comfy pull-on pants from my 7yr old's dresser and laid them out on top of Hubby's old pj bottoms, matching up the crotch area. Then I just cut around, leaving some extra at the bottom for a double-turned hem, extra at the top for a new elastic casing, and a little on the sides for seam allowance. I seam-ripped the old elastic out and reused it, and saved the rest of the scraps for another project (you'll see that next week!) I also let my 7yr old sew the new side seams so he could be a part of the process.
For the top, I made a fake vest to sew to the front of the plain t-shirt. I taped two pieces of printer paper together to go the length of the front of the shirt, lined this up with the center of the shirt, and traced along the neck and sleeve seams.
I made the bottom of the vest piece also come down to a point in the center.
Then just cut this out and you have a paper pattern piece. I laid it on top of the red fabric in this pic so you could see the shape of it better. I cut two of these out of the fat quarter, but had to trim the bottom off the front and make it two pieces in order to fit them all on the fat quarter - don't know if that makes sense or not. I didn't have enough room to lay it full out and cut two on a folded fat quarter, so I had to cut each piece separately and split them into two in order to get them all on there. There were just tiny scraps of the fat quarter leftover, but one strip was enough for some final details to the front of the vest.
**If you are using a fabric that has a definite right and wrong side, make sure you flip the pattern piece over before cutting the second one, otherwise you will end up with two left fronts or two right fronts.
**Also, add an extra 1/4" or so as you cut the pattern, to allow for seam allowance as you sew.
First I sewed the two sections together to create a full left and right front piece.
I had shortened the adult-size cape by about a foot, and used the cut off strip to cut two more vest pieces as lining. I used the red part of the cape for this. I sewed them right sides together, leaving a 3" opening, then flipped, pressed, and top-stitched very close to the edges. So the red cotton fat quarter is the front side, and the slippery fabric from the reversible cape is the inside, a completely closed piece.
I then used the black part of the trimmed-off cape and made a ruffly thing at the neck. Two layers of gathered fabric and another part tied around the top right at the neckline. I sewed the ruffles on with the machine and then tacked a few stitches here and there by hand to get it all looking right. I left the edges raw and rumpled them up to look frayed.
I found an old soccer medal that had lost its ribbon. My boys had been using it as treasure for the imaginext pirate ship, ha! I strung it on some thin, black binding tape and hand stitched the point of the V so that the backside of the medal would lay flat, facing out.
Linking Up At