I picked up a few pink sheets of felt at the Dollar Discount, to add with some white and red from my supply cabinet. Then I cut out a bunch of hearts.
I had just gotten a replacement shank for my sewing machine that day in the mail, so that I could snap on the satin stitch foot (Etsy shop projects in the works!). It was a great thing for me to practice with, to do applique hearts on felt. I got a little more comfortable with the machine satin stitch, and it wasn't bunching up all lumpy like my first attempts, because I now had the correct presser foot. It helped me work out some design kinks by doing this, so yay for that...plus I ended up with some cute hearts, too : )
I satin-stitched small hearts onto the bigger ones in various color combos. I ended up making two of each. Then I made a few with "x" and "o" on them. You may remember these from their temporary spot in my Valentine Ribbon Wreath.
Then I began zig-zagging the fronts/backs together. I would stop where there was a little left open, and sneak a pinch of fiberfill in there. Then I continued zig-zagging till the whole thing was closed up. In these pics, the stuffing step occurred at the curvy, top part of the heart, but I then found it easier to begin sewing to the left of that, sew across the top of the heart and down just over the point, then stop/stuff when there was the one straight side remaining.
I put these hearts in an assembly line and zig-zagged lines 1/4" apart. Three of them, I went back and did 1/4" zig-zags the opposite direction as well, so that they alternated striped and plaid when finished. When I got to the last heart, I lifted the presser foot, pulled just enough to have some room on the thread, flipped the line of hearts over and fed them through the opposite way to sew the next 1/4" line of stitching. Then I just had to clip them apart afterwards.
I sewed to the end...
Valentine Ribbon Wreath, by pinning them on a piece of ribbon with teeny clothespins.
Linking Up At